Further Information

Organisations to be Informed of the Death

  • Car Insurance - Documentation will have to be changed as you are not legally insured to drive if the policy is in the Deceased Name.
  • Social Services/District Nurses - (If there is equipment belonging to either of these, it must be returned)
  • Hospital and/or family Doctor (Any outstanding appointments should be cancelled)
  • Employer or Professional Association
  • Inland Revenue
  • Social Security - (Form 344/BD8 needs to be completed to cancel any direct payments into a bank account. This white certificate is provided by the Registrar of Deaths)
  • Local Council - (Cancel any housing/rate benefits and council tax)
  • Gas, Electric, Water, Telephone and Cable Companies - (Cancel accounts)
  • Post Office - (Arrange redirection of mail, a small charge may be made)
  • Credit Card Companies - cancel cards and pay up accounts
  • Banks and Building Societies - (Accounts need to be closed and any joint accounts need to be amended)
  • Investments and Insurance Policies - (Premium Bonds are not transferable. The Post Office will issue you with a form that needs to be sent to the Bonds and Stocks Office. For further advice we suggest that you consult a Financial Advisor or Accountant.
  • Store Cards - (loyalty, charge and credit need to be cancelled)

Items You May Need to Cancel

Milk, Newspapers, Lottery Tickets, Appointments, Meals on Wheels, Home Help, Chiropodist, Dentist, Eye Specialist, Hairdresser, Home Care, Gardener.

Items to be Returned

  • Passport - (You should return the passport to: The Passport Office, U.K. Passport Agency, 5th Floor, India Building, Water Street, Liverpool.)
  • Driving License - (You should return the driving license to: D.V.L.A., Swansea, SA99 lAB)
  • Vehicle Registration Documents - (To change name of ownership)
  • Car Insurance - (To change Policy Holder's name or a refund may be issued)
  • Television License - (To change name or a refund may be issued)
  • Season Tickets and Club Memberships Cards - (A refund may be issued)
  • Library Books and Card
  • National Insurance Papers

If the Property is Unoccupied

Make sure all windows and doors are locked and secure, if there are any cat/door flaps make sure they are secured. In winter leave some heating on, as this will prevent any pipes from freezing. Make sure that the fridge door is left ajar and that all perishable foods are disposed of. Household plants may need to be tendered to. It may be advisable to let an neighbour have a key to remove any free newspapers and post to stop them building up. Blinds or curtains may be adjusted every couple of days, hence giving an appearance of the house being occupied. Time clocks can be purchased from most hardware stores, which time a lamp or light to turn on and turn off at certain times.

Further Help

In certain circumstances the next-of-kin can receive help with the cost of the funeral from the Social Fund. (Claims must be within three months of death.)
Ask your Funeral Director for further information on Death Benefits.
Your financial circumstances may now have changed and you could be eligible for various state grants. To find out more call Social Security on Freephone 0800 666 555.
Your local Citizens Advice Bureau can also help you.

Registration 0f A Death - How To Register a Death

In England and Wales, a death must be registered by the Registrar of Births and Deaths for the area in which the death occurred. if you are unsure whether or not you have authority to register the death, we will advise you.
The Death Must be Registered Within Five Days.

When You Go To The Registrar

1. Things To Take With You

  • The Medical Certificate of the cause of death
  • The Deceased's National Health Medical Card
  • The Deceased's Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate

The Marriage Certificate and Birth Certificate contain all the information required by the Registrar.

2. The Registrar Requires the Following Details

  • Full Name of the Deceased
  • Home Address
  • Date and Place of Death
  • Date and Place of Birth
  • Last Occupation
  • Date of Birth of Surviving Partner
  • Whether the Deceased was in Receipt of a Pension or Allowance from Public Funds

if the Deceased was a married woman

  • Maiden Name
  • Husband's Full Name (even if deceased)
  • Husband's last Occupation (even if deceased)

From the Informant

  • Full Name of informant
  • Home Address

3. The Registrar Will Give You

  • A Green Certificate - which must be handed to the funeral director so that the funeral can take place
  • A White Certificate - this is for social security purposes

4. The Registrar Will SELL You Copies of the Death Certificate - You may need these for:

  • The Will
  • Any Pension Claims
  • Insurance Policies
  • Savings Bank Certificates
  • Premium Bonds